User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Games: Best free RISC OS games!

Best free RISC OS games!
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Peter Howkins Message #121180, posted by flibble at 09:42, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #121171
flibble

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but with the stuff of the APDL CDs, what is there to stop someone effectively making their own CD, and just copying stuff onto it, so to speak. So that an uploaded CD image isn't an APDL one, but just a random CD with public domain stuff on it.

Just a thought - not a legal whizz so don't know how it works!
Provided you check the copyright and redistribution clauses on each PD app and it is OK, you can legally take an APDL PD CD and copy the apps off into another medium.

But you cannot, for example, take any indexes or front end menus (those would have been created by APDL under their (c)), nor should you copy off any app and redistribute where there isn't a clear indication that you're allowed to do so, (not all apps included are actually 'public domain').
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #121181, posted by pwx at 09:42, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #118726
Also, did anyone mention Spheres of Chaos yet? I have a feeling that it wasn't always completely free, but I definitely remember playing it nonetheless.
I seem to recall there being a shareware version. I'll have a look on my rpc
Wasn't it given away on an Acorn User cover disk?
I have a feeling that it was. Or possibly Archimedes World.
It was AU.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #121185, posted by nunfetishist at 11:11, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #121174
nunfetishist
Today's phish is trout a la creme.

Honesty? Not feeling good about stealing other people's work?

But from your question I presume that sort of thing just wouldn't occur to you.
What the holy mother of god, man? Are you complaining that somebody redistributing the free software you collected and *SOLD* is stealing somebody's work? Sorry, but I've just have a total irony hemorrhage. Are you actually a troll pretending to be Dave?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Gunnlaugur Jonsson Message #121190, posted by Gulli at 15:48, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #121171
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but with the stuff of the APDL CDs, what is there to stop someone effectively making their own CD, and just copying stuff onto it, so to speak. So that an uploaded CD image isn't an APDL one, but just a random CD with public domain stuff on it.

My follow up questions to that would be along the lines of "Why bother with a CD? Why not a website where it could be downloaded?" Provided of course the software in question does have a license that allows you to do distribute it at all.

[Edited by Gulli at 16:49, 11/10/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Holden Message #121192, posted by apdl at 16:59, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #121190

My follow up questions to that would be along the lines of "Why bother with a CD? Why not a website where it could be downloaded?" Provided of course the software in question does have a license that allows you to do distribute it at all.
All the software on the CDs IS available for download from the APDL web site, including most of the stuff on our DTP CDs.

From memory about half is freely distributable by anyone, much of the rest by a private individual giving a copy to a friend or by PD libraries, some only by specific permission of the author and some only by APDL. Almost none is Public Domain, most is Freeware (i.e., copyright), with quite a lot it is forbidden to distribute it on magazine discs, CDs, websites, etc. without the authors permission. Obviously APDL had such permission where necessary.

However the thing I find funniest about this is that the material itself is of little use on its own. What good is a CD full of archives with no descriptions? Even if someone took the trouble to search through all the archives and sort out the stuff which could be freely distributed, without a proper catalogue and description it would just be a great jumble of zip files. It's the catalogue and descriptions that make the website and CDs useful and those represent many years and thousands of hours of work and are copyright. I doubt if anyone would be prepared to do all that work over again.

It's all there for anyone who wants to make personal use of it and is likely to remain there for the foreseeable future. The sale of the occasional CD (as with the RISC World stuff) brings in just enough money to cover the cost of the websites.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Alun Millard Message #121194, posted by ulaggy at 17:49, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #121174
Honesty? Not feeling good about stealing other people's work?

But from your question I presume that sort of thing just wouldn't occur to you.
How rude!

I was just asking a question in relation to the discussion that had been had on this subject. It was rather presumptuous of you to assume otherwise.

Also, for your information, I believe that somewhere at my folks' house is 2 original APDL CDs. May have been chucked, but certainly we bought them at some point.

But thanks for making a presumption anyway!

[Edited by ulaggy at 18:52, 11/10/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #121195, posted by nunfetishist at 18:11, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #121192
nunfetishist

The sale of the occasional CD (as with the RISC World stuff) brings in just enough money to cover the cost of the websites.
Then your web host is ripping you off.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #121196, posted by filecore at 20:43, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #121192

All the software on the CDs IS available for download from the APDL web site, including most of the stuff on our DTP CDs. [...] It's all there for anyone who wants to make personal use of it and is likely to remain there for the foreseeable future.
Really? I thought you'd withdrawn the whole thing because as a measure against pirates, you'd deliberately seeded the whole thing with corrupt files and perhaps a few viruses too? So what exactly are you leaving online for the forseeable future?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Paul Vernon Message #121205, posted by PaulV at 20:35, 12/10/2012, in reply to message #121196
All the software on the CDs IS available for download from the APDL web site, including most of the stuff on our DTP CDs. [...] It's all there for anyone who wants to make personal use of it and is likely to remain there for the foreseeable future.
Really? I thought you'd withdrawn the whole thing because as a measure against pirates, you'd deliberately seeded the whole thing with corrupt files and perhaps a few viruses too? So what exactly are you leaving online for the forseeable future?
Wow. I thought intentionally distributing computer viruses was a criminal offence in the UK under the Computer Misuse Act 1990.

How can APDL ever engender trust in their wares when there's the possibility that they may be intentionally corrupted or laden with viruses?

To retaliate against software piracy by endangering the entire RISC OS community is shocking behaviour to say the least which leaves me speechless. Not only is it a foolish thing to do from a business point of view (and likely the reason why sales only just cover APDL hosting fees) but it's a terrible thing to do to the entire RISC OS community. Much of that public domain software will run on most RISC OS platforms beyond the original Acorn kit so, long term if RISC OS gains some extra popularity through things like the Raspberry Pi, this sort of behaviour will have a detrimental effect on those newcomers to RISC OS that don't know any better.

Methinks that APDL has never come across the adage, "Two wrongs do not make a right."

Paul
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Bryan Hogan Message #121206, posted by helpful at 02:22, 13/10/2012, in reply to message #121205
Methinks that APDL has never come across the adage, "Two wrongs do not make a right."
Methinks you didn't read the next page of that thread:
http://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?threadid=11379&page=2#114023

Me-also-thinks Jason should stop bringing up old threads that were stupid at the time.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #121208, posted by nunfetishist at 08:45, 13/10/2012, in reply to message #121206
nunfetishist

Me-also-thinks Jason should stop bringing up old threads that were stupid at the time.
I think it's fine, and hilarious, to point out previous stupid statements when Dave makes another. Like he did on this thread on the previous page.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Paul Vernon Message #121212, posted by PaulV at 11:08, 13/10/2012, in reply to message #121206
I did read it entirely.

The point is, you simply cannot trust what is being said. The statements made in both of the APDL posts in question are contradictory implying that software may have been tainted and then, in the second that it hasn't. I don't know Dave but why should I believe the second statement given the first.

The first statement is threatening and bordering on an untruth if the latter statement is to be believed and the second is an outright lie if the first is true.

Either way, I conclude from the contradictory nature of the statements that APDL is untrustworthy. What other conclusion would you have me make?

Paul
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Jones Message #121236, posted by rickyrisc at 19:49, 15/10/2012, in reply to message #121212
On that note this might be worth reading:

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5504

RJ
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #121237, posted by nunfetishist at 20:22, 15/10/2012, in reply to message #121236
nunfetishist

On that note this might be worth reading:

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5504

RJ
That thread's hilarious. Thanks for the link smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (5): |< < 5

The Icon Bar: Games: Best free RISC OS games!