User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: London riots

London riots
  apacketofsweets (00:25 9/8/2011)
  filecore (06:01 9/8/2011)
    Stoppers (11:14 9/8/2011)
    trevj (11:18 9/8/2011)
      apacketofsweets (12:30 9/8/2011)
        filecore (15:20 9/8/2011)
          ad (18:14 9/8/2011)
            Enzo (21:23 10/8/2011)
              qUE (22:19 10/8/2011)
                qUE (22:28 10/8/2011)
  qUE (14:00 9/8/2011)
  CJE (15:07 9/8/2011)
    trevj (19:11 9/8/2011)

Sion Message #118438, posted by apacketofsweets at 00:25, 9/8/2011
apacketofsweets
RISC OS, too cool for Javascript.

Not sure if anyone here's been affected by any of this but I really can't understand why violence and looting seems to be affecting London, Birmingham and Liverpool tonight.

If those involved's reason is the goverment, cuts, unemployment etc. then I don't see why they don't just stage a protest instead of inflicting chaos and disturbing the lives of others. I can well see a repeat of the widespread riots that affected the 1980s. It really is nice to have the Tories back.

What are everyone else's view on all this?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #118439, posted by filecore at 06:01, 9/8/2011, in reply to message #118438

They say that you can work out the average IQ of a mob by dividing its actual average IQ by the number of people in it...

Did you know that the modern term 'mob' derives from the Latin mobile vulgus, basically a derogotory term meaning agitated commoners (or as Wikipedia delicately phrases it, 'fickle commoners')?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Willcocks Message #118440, posted by Stoppers at 11:14, 9/8/2011, in reply to message #118439
The IQ of people who record the evidence for their own prosecution can't be very high.

They've just worked out a way for a lot of them to get away with theft. Camden High Street has some broken windows this morning: the mobile phone shops.

There's nothing political about this.

I wonder if disgruntled football fans will have a bigger effect on the particpants than the police.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #118441, posted by trevj at 11:18, 9/8/2011, in reply to message #118439
[...] the Latin mobile vulgus, basically a derogotory term meaning agitated commoners (or as Wikipedia delicately phrases it, 'fickle commoners')?
Or fickle (crowd), although now generally used to mean an "unruly group".

I think this is pretty scary for innocent people who are affected, and personally know someone who lives in a locally-affected London area and is wishing she'd booked her holiday a week earlier as she now can't wait to get away. I'll be worried if this spreads to my neighbourhood. But to put things into perspective, there is of course much euphemistic collateral damage occurring all around the globe.

My view is that those who are genuinely angry (not purely seeking an excuse for violence and/or theft) are a legitimate and foreseeable nonminority product of our society. They may be somewhat calmed by the correction of financial injustices such as multinationals not paying their taxes. Yes, the Labour govt. should've been a lot better than they were at tackling many issues. And the current closures of youth clubs are bound to result in more "troubled" youngsters being left to roam the streets. The parents (of the younger ones) should take more responsibility, but they often have their own problems and may be unable to deal with the influence that gangs have (or may in fact be linked themselves).

"If you listen to fools... The Mob Rules". So who are the fools? Us (for lacking empathy)? The media? The politicians? The govt. advisers?

IANASW (I am not a Social Worker)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Sion Message #118442, posted by apacketofsweets at 12:30, 9/8/2011, in reply to message #118441
apacketofsweets
RISC OS, too cool for Javascript.

Although the beginning for the trouble was fueled by anger for the death of a local man, it looks to me like it's provided youths, predominantly black and under 18, the excuse to loot everywhere and burn some buildings. The BBC News channel tells me that there were roughly 700 - 800 troublemakers still on the streets at 4am this morning, so they're either unemployed or the rioters are just taking advantage of the school holidays.

An international football match between England and the Netherlands has been cancelled tomorrow as a result of things, so there's now 70,000 disgruntled football fans to add to the mix, although I doubt they'll get involved in any violence.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

qUE Message #118443, posted by qUE at 14:00, 9/8/2011, in reply to message #118438
qUE

Real reason people are rioting is the new series of Big Brother is about to start on Channel 5.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Evans Message #118444, posted by CJE at 15:07, 9/8/2011, in reply to message #118438
CJE Micros chap
Just seen these tweets:
#reclaimthestreets If enough law abiding citizens are on the streets it should stop riots, especially if they are from the local community.

#reclaimthestreets part2 Don't leave a vacuum fill the streets with mothers, families etc but protect your family and no Vigilantes!

Sounds like a good idea to me. A pity I'm not in LOndon otherwise I could help put it into action.

[Edited by CJE at 16:15, 9/8/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #118445, posted by filecore at 15:20, 9/8/2011, in reply to message #118442

youths, predominantly black and under 18 [...] either unemployed or just taking advantage of the school holidays.
70,000 disgruntled England fans [...] I doubt they'll get involved in any violence.
These made me giggle, for diametrically opposed reasons smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Duffell Message #118446, posted by ad at 18:14, 9/8/2011, in reply to message #118445

"There is nothing more dangerous than to build a society, with a large segment of people in that society, who feel that they have no stake in it; who feel that they have nothing to lose. People who have a stake in their society, protect that society, but when they don't have it, they unconsciously want to destroy it."
Martin Luther King Jr.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #118447, posted by trevj at 19:11, 9/8/2011, in reply to message #118444
#reclaimthestreets
Nice move. Have people here already seen this video of a fearless Hackney woman?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Xavier Tardy Message #118457, posted by Enzo at 21:23, 10/8/2011, in reply to message #118446
Luther King if of course perfectly right.

Not surprising in a country which mimics the US, without its ressources or its power.
A country where so called 'leaders' take their orders from the City, puke on the poors, destroy the middle class, and are ready to protect the white collars thieves in the banks and all other monstruous international companies, until the end as they are their creations.

The 'system' is on the verge of collapsing, and that's good news.

I've always wondered why you, my dear cousins, have agreed to let your so called 'elite' rule your own country for so long. Might be because of the mass media and the very mediocre newspapers you've got.

[Edited by Enzo at 22:26, 10/8/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

qUE Message #118458, posted by qUE at 22:19, 10/8/2011, in reply to message #118457
qUE

Luther King if of course perfectly right.

Not surprising in a country which mimics the US, without its ressources or its power.
A country where so called 'leaders' take their orders from the City, puke on the poors, destroy the middle class, and are ready to protect the white collars thieves in the banks and all other monstruous international companies, until the end as they are their creations.

The 'system' is on the verge of collapsing, and that's good news.

I've always wondered why you, my dear cousins, have agreed to let your so called 'elite' rule your own country for so long. Might be because of the mass media and the very mediocre newspapers you've got.

[Edited by Enzo at 22:26, 10/8/2011]
Hah, Xavier there's a slight difference between a revolution and hoodies rioting because some other people started rioting. But I get your point, our existing heads of state have gotten a little too comfortable and are treating the general public like complete idiots. Of course it could esculate and get on the right track when the police start using force, which of course they've been avoiding.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

qUE Message #118459, posted by qUE at 22:28, 10/8/2011, in reply to message #118458
qUE

http://photoshoplooter.tumblr.com/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: London riots