User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Programming: AMPLE and FORTH

AMPLE and FORTH
  alex_farlie (23:21 19/1/2014)
  hubersn (01:15 20/1/2014)

Alex Farlie Message #122933, posted by alex_farlie at 23:21, 19/1/2014
Hi.

Many years ago there was a partial port of AMPLE over to 26 bit based RISC OS. It's not however a version that could be easily patched unhappy

I also found a general FORTH called !ArmForth (written around 1992/3 on an ancient FTP archive. This is largely 26bit based on the dates, but given it's source (supplied with it) appears to be ASSEMBLER+ FORTH it could be patched presumably.)

There is also a minimal forth called JonesForth (which had been ported on one repositry to work with an ARM EABI (Linux?) interface.)
I will note JonesForth was also 'extended' on Windows into BB4WForth (by Richard Russell).

Recombining BB4WForth (which is x86) and an ARM JonesForth could provide a suitable new Forth for RISC OS (Over which a new AMPLE could be developed), which could be made 32bit neutral at the very least. Of course the x86ism in BB4WFORTH would have to be recoded, but in general it is only the assembler portion that would need this.
(Jones Forth is an assembler bootstrap, with the rest of a Not quite Forth-94 system being coded in FORTH itself.

However, before porting anything,
I figured I'd check if this was something someone had already done.

So
(i) Is there a FORTH for RISC OS?
(ii) Is it 32bit neutral?
(iii) Does it meet Forth-94 (ANS Forth) ?
(iv) Does it support SWI calls?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Steffen Huber Message #122934, posted by hubersn at 01:15, 20/1/2014, in reply to message #122933
I think that the most complete Forth environment that was available for RISC OS is Forthmacs, ported in the mid-90s by Hanno Schwalm. Certainly not 32bit compatible, because the last version I am aware of is from 1997/1998. But at least it is StrongARM compatible.

You can still download this from
ftp://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/acorn/riscos/lang/forth/forthmacs/

I know that Hanno Schwalm is still active within the Forth scene, so it would be worth a try to contact him. Maybe sponsor him a Raspberry Pi big smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: Programming: AMPLE and FORTH