User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Programming: Registering modules, programs, etc

Registering modules, programs, etc
  (11:56 27/11/2000)
  rich (12:48 27/11/2000)
    Phlamethrower (13:58 15/6/2002)
      johnstlr (17:06 27/11/2000)
        weiss (20:05 27/1/2001)
          rich (13:58 15/6/2002)
            weiss (21:29 29/1/2001)
              rich (13:58 15/6/2002)

Phlamethrower Message #4684, posted at 11:56, 27/11/2000
Unregistered user Anybody know whether RISC OS Ltd are bothering with the registration system Acorn used to have (e.g. where you'd ask them for a SWI base)?

Also how would you register? A form on their website, an email to them or snail mail?

Just wondering before I end up picking a SWI base for something that's already taken (I.e. I haven't bothered with this system yet).

^[ Log in to reply ]

rich Message #4685, posted at 12:48, 27/11/2000, in reply to message #4684
Unregistered user You can still register with Pineapple; Acorn handed this side of things over to Pineapple anyway.

You really need the registration program (from most FTP sites) to do it properly, as you can just fill out a form and email off the contents.

^[ Log in to reply ]

johnstlr Message #4687, posted at 17:06, 27/11/2000, in reply to message #4686
Unregistered user Judging from the help file then yes that's what you want.

Always wondered how you went about doing it - simple when you know how

^[ Log in to reply ]

weiss Message #4688, posted at 20:05, 27/1/2001, in reply to message #4687
Unregistered user I have a few more questions about the process:

If I were to request a filetype number, would the corresponding WIMP sprite file_nnn be allocated automatically? Obviously you can't request both at the same time. Also, is it necessary to allocate the name that goes in the task manager's list? I can't seem to find the right entry in !Allocate.

Also, about using a PC to send the request, is it correct to just cut-and-paste the UUcode that Allocate generates into an email with something like "allocation request" in the subject line?

I'm just about to send a request in and I'm not in a hurry to get it wrong...

^[ Log in to reply ]

weiss Message #4690, posted at 21:29, 29/1/2001, in reply to message #4689
Unregistered user Thanks. Just out of interest, what proportion of the (freeware/shareware etc) programs out there are properly registered? I'm working on a big project which will of course be fully registered, but I've also got a smaller product with a more restricted "audience" - should I bother?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4686, posted at 13:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4685
Unregistered user Is this the right thing?

http://developer.riscos.com/public/Resources/Utilities/

Now the only problem is that It's the PC I'm accessing the internet on unhappy

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 15:38, 27/11/2000]

^[ Log in to reply ]

rich Message #4689, posted at 13:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4688
Unregistered user IIRC you just ask for a filetype to be allocated and they'll give you a number. You then rename the sprites to reflect this filetype. Then again, last time I did an allocation I emailed "by hand" to see if they thought it was worth the effort of registering mobile data filetypes smile

Just send the sprites, name of the program and any system vaiables etc. you need, and attach to an email. The taskmanager name should really be the same as the program name so I don't think you need to worry. You're going to be sending this to a real person so if anything's wrong it's not the end of the world.

^[ Log in to reply ]

rich Message #4691, posted at 13:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4690
Unregistered user
Thanks. Just out of interest, what proportion of the (freeware/shareware etc) programs out there are properly registered? I'm working on a big project which will of course be fully registered, but I've also got a smaller product with a more restricted "audience" - should I bother?

First of all I guess you have to figure out a total for all freeware/shareware programs that have been written, and work from there smile I'm guessing it's fairly small.

To be honest it's not usually worth bothering for a small project, you're just using up finite resources that could be used for larger projects, so it's probably best to use a generic filetype and be carefull with what system variables you use. For instance I only registered HTML3 when I'd been working on it for a while and started to do more complicated stuff involving system variables etc., but I stil use Data, Text and Palette files for storing information because there's no need to do otherwise.

^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: Programming: Registering modules, programs, etc